Please join us on some short fun rides suitable for riders 10 yrs. and older (no training wheels). Also suitable for younger children on tag-alongs, tandems, in cargo box bikes, in trailers, or in bike-mounted child carriers. Routes will typically be 5 to 7 miles in length and may include stops along the way at parks, notable sites, trees, outdoor art, and maybe a bakery, ice cream, or candy store.
The summer Family Cycling series also lists Sunday Parkways in Portland. Sunday Parkways are put on by the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT). These are loops of about 4.5 to 9.5 miles on neighborhood roadways that are closed to cars and open to pedestrians and bikes. You’ll find food, music, dancing, and merriment! The club does not host a family ride on Sunday Parkways days, but they are great ways to spend a day with your family, either walking or cycling. Consider visiting the Portland Bicycling Club booth at the June 30 event. Enjoy!
New to cycling with your child? Before attending one of our rides, we recommend checking out website tips for riding with kids and doing some short practice rides:
- Portland Family Biking Guide by PBOT
- Bicycle Safety Tips for Parents, Guardians, and Children by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
- Fitting Your Bike Helmet by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
- Oregon Bicyclist Manual prepared and published by ODOT’s Oregon Bicycle and Pedestrian Program
All children must be accompanied by a parent or other legal guardian. Every rider must wear a helmet.
Schedule of Club-Led Family Rides (for more details visit the club ride calendar) and PBOT Family Events:
- June 9 – Gresham Main City Park 1:00 p.m.
- June 23 – Sellwood Park 1:00 p.m.
- June 30 – Sunday Parkways North Portland 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; consider visiting the PBC booth!
- July 7 – Gresham Main City Park 1:00 p.m.
- July 21 – Sunday Parkways Outer NE Portland 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- August 4 – Club Picnic, Columbia Park 10:00 a.m.
- August 18 – Gresham Main City Park 1:00 p.m.
- August 25 – Sunday Parkways Downtown & Inner SE 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- September 22 – Sunday Parkways NE Portland 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Pat McManus, President